If you are thinking about traveling to another country for medical care, which is called medical tourism, you might be wondering where to go. Where you should go depends on the type of procedure you need. Some countries specialize in certain types of procedures, and you need to make sure you receive quality medical care even as you try to save money.
With this in mind, where should you go for your medical care? It depends on the type of procedure you require. Take a look at a few of the top treatment options below!
1. Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopedic surgery is one of the most common reasons why people seek medical tourism. Some of the most common examples of orthopedic surgery include bone fractures, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, elbow surgery, and hip surgery. There are a number of locations where people seek medical tourism for orthopedic care. A few examples include:
- Canada: Canada is a popular location for orthopedic surgery. People come to Canada from all over the world to take advantage of its socialized healthcare system, experienced surgeons, and compassionate medical professionals.
- Spain: Spain is another popular country for orthopedic procedures. Spain is home to a variety of hospitals with plenty of surgeons who specialize in foot, ankle, and shoulder issues. In particular, individuals who are looking for a surgical procedure to help them recover from flat feet might want to consider a trip to Spain.
- Dubai: Many people go to Dubai for help with orthopedic surgery. Many of the surgeons in Dubai have trained overseas, and come back to the United Arab Emirates to share their knowledge with their colleagues. There are countless examples of orthopedic procedures that people get done in Dubai. Examples include bone reconstructions, ligament repairs, and tendon repairs.
💡 Some orthopedic surgeons opt to specialize on one part of the body, while others want to be generalists.
2. Cancer Treatment Procedures
As people continue to live longer, rates of cancer will continue to go up. Cancer treatment includes a variety of options including radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and surgery. Unfortunately, cancer can take a long time to treat, and this means that it can also be very expensive. Fortunately, there are places where people can save money on the cost of cancer treatment.
Some of the most popular locations include:
- Japan: Japan is one of the most advanced countries in the world, and they have one of the strongest medical systems. Lots of people come to Japan for help with cancer treatment, including cancer surgery. Some people also come to Japan for help with cancer procedures that they might not necessarily receive in other parts of the world.
- Costa Rica: Many people also come to Costa Rica for help with cancer treatment. While many people come to Costa Rica specifically for cancer surgery operations, doctors in Costa Rica are also capable of providing a wide variety of other cancer treatment options. Cancer treatment is usually customized to the grade and stage of the cancer itself.
3. Coronary Angiography and Angioplasty
Coronary angiography and angioplasty refers to procedures that involve the blood vessels that feed your heart. For example, your doctor may have told you that you need to get your arteries unclogged to minimize your chances of developing cardiovascular complications. Or, your doctor may need to fashion a new blood vessel entirely.
Some of the top locations in the world for this type of procedure include:
- Singapore: Singapore is one of the most popular locations for individuals looking for cardiac bypass procedures. If one or more of the coronary arteries is clogged, then a cardiac surgeon may need to fashion a new blood vessel to get around the blockage. Singapore is a popular location for this procedure, and the statistics show that people can save a lot of money.
- Canada: Even though Canada might not be the first choice for individuals from Europe and Asia, it is incredibly popular among people who live in the United States. Canada is known for its high-quality facilities and services, and it can provide exceptional coronary care.
4. Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery comes in many shapes and forms. Some of the most common examples of cosmetic surgery include tummy tucks, facelifts, and mole removals. It is highly unusual for an insurance company to pay for these procedures, so lots of people look overseas for help with cosmetic surgery. Some of the most popular locations for help with cosmetic surgery include:
- Japan: Japan has lots of highly trained cosmetic surgeons who can help people address a variety of aesthetic issues. The surgeons are experienced in numerous areas and can customize the treatment plan to meet the needs of the individual. Many hospitals also have offices that assist patients from overseas, helping them complete their paperwork to come into the country.
- The United Kingdom: Even though the United Kingdom might not necessarily be a popular option for medical tourists, there are some areas in which it excels. For example, many people come to you in the United Kingdom for help with anti-aging procedures and other skincare concerns. For example, the United Kingdom is one of the most popular locations in the world for people who are looking for help with facial fillers.
- Dubai: Dubai is also a popular location for those looking for help with cosmetic surgery. For example, lots of people come to Dubai for help with tummy tucks and facelifts. Some people also explore Dubai for help with anti-aging procedures. With numerous specialty doctors available, it is possible for people to find the care they need during a visit to the United Arab Emirates.
Plastic surgery derives its name from the Greek term plastikos, which means pliable or mouldable, rather than from the use of plastic. Silicone, Gore-Tex, and Medpor are the most frequent materials used as implants during plastic surgery, with silicone being the most prevalent. Grafts are also utilized in rare circumstances to replace implants. Because these grafts are derived from the patient’s body (for example, ear cartilage), they are not rejected by the body.
5. Dental Procedures
Many people also look overseas for help with dental procedures. There are numerous examples of dental procedures that someone might require. For example, someone might require a root canal on one or more teeth, or individuals might be looking for a dental implant that can help them complete their smile. Lots of people are also looking for help with laser teeth whitening or porcelain veneers.
Some of the most popular locations for dental procedures include:
- Spain: Spain is a common location for individuals looking for help with dental procedures. Dentists in Spain go through a tremendous amount of training to learn how to treat a variety of issues. In particular, Spain is a popular location for teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, and other orthodontic issues.
- Dubai: Dubai is located in the United Arab Emirates. A lot of people think about the glittering architecture of Dubai, but it is also known for its exceptional medical care. One of the most common reasons why people go to Dubai is for a dental procedure. Some of the most common dental procedures performed in Dubai include dental implants, root canals, and orthodontic procedures.
💡Dental implants are almost as durable as the original teeth they replace. Dental implants are the only known tooth-replacement alternative that is as strong and durable as natural teeth.
6. Substance Abuse and Addiction Treatment
Lots of people also seek medical tourism for substance abuse and addiction treatment issues. Mental health is one of the biggest issues facing the global health system today. Some people are looking to recover from illicit drugs while other people are trying to break free from alcohol addiction. Unfortunately, many insurance companies do not cover the cost of substance abuse treatment, but there are several popular medical tourism options. They include:
- Canada: Canada has a robust mental health treatment system, and this includes both inpatient and outpatient care for those looking for health and substance abuse and addiction treatment issues.
- Malaysia: Malaysia is also a popular location for substance abuse and addiction treatment issues. There are countless mental health providers who have experience helping people overcome a variety of addiction concerns.
7. Hip Replacement
Individuals who require a hip replacement may have a difficult time walking, running, or even sitting down. Unfortunately, the cost of a hip replacement can make this procedure prohibitive in many parts of the country. Fortunately, there are plenty of locations where people can get a great hip replacement at a reduced price. A few of the most popular locations include:
- Singapore: Singapore has one of the most popular locations in the world for a hip replacement. Based on the statistics of the average price of a hip replacement, it is obvious that people can save a lot of money by going to Singapore for this procedure. Singapore also provides an exceptional level of care.
- South Korea: South Korea is also one of the most popular countries in the world for a hip replacement. Patients can work with specialized providers who can secure visas, fill out paperwork, and make sure people have transportation when they arrive for the procedure.
8. Knee Replacement
The cost of a knee replacement can be prohibitive. Individuals who are having a difficult time flexing or extending their leg may benefit from a knee replacement; however, even with insurance, the cost of a knee replacement can be high. Fortunately, there are some locations where people can go to save money on the cost of a knee replacement. Some of the most popular locations include:
- The United Kingdom: The United Kingdom is one of the most popular places in the world for a knee replacement. Many of the surgeons in the United Kingdom perform countless knee replacements every year, so they have a tremendous amount of experience helping people with this operation. The numbers also show that people could save tens of thousands of dollars on the cost of this operation by going to the UK.
- South Korea: Countless people go to South Korea every year for knee replacement surgery. It is possible to save tens of thousands of dollars on the cost of a knee replacement by going to South Korea.
- Turkey: Turkey is also a popular location for people looking for help with any replacement. The orthopedic surgeons in Turkey have a lot of experience with countless knees and can make sure patients have a positive outcome.
9. Fertility Treatment
It can be incredibly difficult if a couple is unable to get pregnant as easily as they feel they should. Unfortunately, in vitro fertilization and other fertility treatments can be prohibitively expensive in some countries. Thus, there are lots of people who look for medical care outside of their borders. Fortunately, there are plenty of affordable treatment options for those who are looking for help with fertility concerns.
Some of the most popular locations include:
- Dubai: There are lots of people who come to Dubai every year for help with fertility treatments. There are exceptional OB/GYNs in Dubai who have a tremendous amount of experience working with couples who are having a difficult time getting pregnant. For example, some people come to Dubai for help with in vitro fertilization. Other people might be looking for prescription medications that can help couples improve their fertility. Dubai has plenty of treatment options for those looking for fertility help.
- Austria: Many people also go to Austria for help with fertility treatment. Austria has access to a variety of medical facilities that can help people explore all options related to pregnancy. Couples can fulfill their dreams of giving birth to a child with advanced fertility measures.
- Turkey: Turkey is one of the most popular locations in the world for people looking for help with fertility. Doctors in surgery have access to numerous treatment options that can help people get pregnant and give birth.
10. Weight Loss Surgery
Furthermore, there are lots of people who are looking for help with weight loss surgery. Diet and exercise are not necessarily enough for everyone to lose weight. Sadly, many insurance companies balk at the idea of paying for weight loss surgery. Fortunately, there are plenty of affordable options overseas where people can get weight loss procedures. Some of the most common locations include:
- Costa Rica: Costa Rica is one of the most popular locations in the world for bariatric surgery. Many of the surgeons in Costa Rica spend a tremendous amount of time operating on individuals who fly in from overseas. There are multiple bariatric procedures available, and individuals need to talk with their surgeon about which one is right for them.
- India: Lots of people also travel to India for weight loss surgery. Because of a friendly policy related to medical tourism, people who are having a difficult time finding someone to perform bariatric surgery in their home country often look to India. Surgeons in India have a lot of experience in this area and can help people lose weight.
- Germany: People also go to Germany for weight loss surgery. Germany is on the cutting edge of medical science, and they have a variety of innovative procedures that can help people lose the weight they desire.
11. Eye Surgery
The eye surgery is another common reason why people look for medical care outside of their own borders. This surgery is not always covered by insurance, and the cost of the procedure can be very expensive. At the same time, there are doctors overseas who might be willing to perform this procedure at a lower price.
Some of the most popular locations for people looking for help with eye surgery include:
- Costa Rica: Costa Rica is a common location for people looking for help with eye surgery. For example, lots of people come to Costa Rica for laser eye surgery. Then, after the procedure, people might stick around for a day or two to give their incisions time to heal. After this, people might not need glasses or contacts anymore.
- Israel: Israel is also a popular location for people looking for help with eye surgery. Many of the eye doctors in Israel have a tremendous amount of experience operating on international patients, and the cost of an eye operation can be significantly lower in Israel when compared to other countries.
- Canada: Canada is also a popular location for those interested in eye surgery, but the country specializes in eyelid surgery in particular. Eye surgeons in Canada have a tremendous amount of experience with a wide variety of ocular procedures.
12. Cardiac Surgery
Countless people also travel overseas for help with cardiac surgery. It takes a tremendous amount of training to operate on a beating heart, and the cost of a cardiac operation can be expensive. There are plenty of locations overseas where people can save money on the cost of cardiac surgery.
Some of the most common locations include:
- Israel: Israel is a common location for people looking for help with cardiac surgery. The surgeons and Israel go through a lot of training and operate as a team to make sure nothing is overlooked. That way, patients can maximize their chances of a successful outcome.
- India: India is also a popular location for cardiac surgery. India is a popular location for medical tourism because they have a friendly medical visa policy that encourages people to come to the country for medical care. That way, people do not necessarily have to leave the country as soon as the cardiac surgery is done.
- Japan: Japan is also a popular location for individuals looking for cardiac surgery. Cardiac surgery can be extremely expensive even with health insurance, and many people take advantage of the clean, safe, and experienced health facilities in Japan.
“A people who do not provide for their own sick and suffering are not worthy of civilization.” Daniel Hale Williams, the son of a barber, established the first black-owned hospital in America and conducted the world’s first successful heart surgery in 1893.
Don’t forget to leave a comment and check out our latest blogs!